My hands are pretty dry at the best of times so I really need to take care in winter to prevent crusty cuticles and flaking nails. If you've seen any of my Then and Now posts you'll see what my cuticles looked like in my pre-blogging days and they were not a pretty sight. If I'm not careful that's what they would end up looking like at all times. So for the colder days I tend to follow these steps:
1. Exfoliate I use L'Occitane's One Minute Hand Scrub for a good exfoliation. It seems pretty abrasive as you're doing it but the results are amazing. After one minute with this scrub my hands feel smooth and any white flakes around my cuticles disappear. I'm addicted! I use this about twice a week.
2. Cuticles After scrubbing my hands and nails I use good old Lemony Flutter from Lush for an intense dose of moisture on my cuticles. The moisturising effect of this doesn't seem to last all that long but I find with regular use the overall condition of the skin around my nails does improve quite significantly. A little goes a long way which means the pot lasts for ages.
3. Moisturise For my hands I use all manner of creams but my current fave is from the Body Shop and is a real oldie but goodie. I remember when this first came out and laughing with all my friends about Body Shop selling weed-based products but being instantly addicted. The smell isn't for everyone but the benefits from the cream out way the smell if you aren't a fan (I am so it's fine).
4. File My life was revolutionised when someone told me to use a glass nail file. I purchased a crappy one from somewhere and found that it was waaaay better than the stupid emery boards I was using which split my nails like no one's business but it still wasn't great. Then I bought this bad boy from Nails Inc and I have never looked back. I must have got this about 5 years ago now and it still does the job. A little run under cold water every now and then keeps it in top shape. Not a split in sight!
5. Strengthen I very rarely use Nail Envy to it's full potential as I am constantly applying and removing nail polish. However, on the rare occasions that I manage to apply it daily the improvement in my nail strength is insane. I may have to do a post on this at some point this year as the difference is truly astounding. The price of this product is quite steep but I find it lasts for ages and is genuinely the only product I have tried that has vastly improved the strength of my nails. Well worth it!
6. On The Go When I'm out and about I find I need to keep my cuticles in particular well nourished. For that I take with me Superdrug's cuticle oil. It comes in a handy pen with a brush applicator. I recently purchased a slightly more expensive oil pen but find this one works better for me. I also apply this sometimes before I take blog pics as it's a quick fix for healthier looking nails.
How do you take care of your hands and nails in during winter? Do you have any miracle products that we should try?